[geeks] Deltect T2000 UPS

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Mar 8 07:27:32 CST 2012

On 03/08/2012 03:17 AM, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 20:49:46 -0500
> Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:
>
>> It must be one of those weeks.
> [dead UPS]
> To my experience: Most of the time a UPS is the cause of a power outage
> because it dies. More often then it preserves the machnine from a power
> outage. Therefore: Use a UPS only if your power grid is _really_
> unreliable. Or use it only with machines that have two fully redundant
> PSUs and power feeds. Plug one PSU into mains, one in a UPS. So the
> machine keeps running when the UPS dies.

This is the first time in almost 20 years of using APC UPSen that I have
had one fail while in service.  I had one once that had a battery
failure because it was overcharging its batteries to the point that they
swelled and couldn't be removed, and APC shipped a complete new UPS and
had us send that one back for failure analysis.

On the other hand, having a UPS has carried us over innumerable power
outages, some of them only momentary but still enough to make all the
machines reboot had they not been on a UPS.

The other factor you're not taking into account is that a UPS is also a
power conditioner.  It'll correct sags and overvoltages, and filter out
line noise - particularly on the ground line - that a surge suppressor
won't.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.