[geeks] Deltect T2000 UPS

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Mar 8 10:03:28 CST 2012

On 3/8/2012 10:22 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Pretty much all of the sub-1KVA dumb units from any manufacturer are
> consumer grade equipment basically intended to tide a single PC over
> momentary outages and shut it down cleanly if the power's out longer
> than about 30 seconds.  And honestly, IMHO, not one of'em, regardless of
> the name on it, is worth a damn.

It's even worse than that now, with the newer efficient power supplies,
the UPS that does not provide something close to a sine wave, will end
up causing your system to be flaky, or, when the outage hits, the PS
will shutdown anyways, because the power is too jagged.

I forget which APC line is better, I did have exactly this issue with a
HP system that was new and shiny, but the lower end APCs put out
something that looks nothing like a sine wave.

APC even admits it, see Problem #5 on this page:

http://nam-en.apc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20/~/equipment-connected-to-a-back-ups-product-turns-off-unexpectedly-and%2For

--Patrick