[geeks] Deltect T2000 UPS

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Mar 8 09:22:17 CST 2012

On 03/08/2012 10:04 AM, Mouse wrote:
>> To my experience: Most of the time a UPS is the cause of a power
>> outage because it dies.  More often then it preserves the machnine
>> from a power outage.
>
> I once picked up a small (~1 KVA) UPS and put some of my home machines
> on it.  My experience there matches what I quoted from Jochen above:
> after some four months or so, I realized I'd had more downtime from UPS
> problems during those few months than I would have from mains issues in
> a year or two - Hydro-Quibec provides pretty good power, at least in
> downtown Montrial.  So I took the UPS out again.  (It wasn't a no-name
> UPS, either; I think it was APC.  I do recall that it was someone who
> didn't document their host interface, but the UPS came my way cheap
> enough I was willing to overlook that.)

Pretty much all of the sub-1KVA dumb units from any manufacturer are
consumer grade equipment basically intended to tide a single PC over
momentary outages and shut it down cleanly if the power's out longer
than about 30 seconds.  And honestly, IMHO, not one of'em, regardless of
the name on it, is worth a damn.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.