[geeks] Deltect T2000 UPS

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Thu Mar 8 09:04:35 CST 2012

> To my experience: Most of the time a UPS is the cause of a power
> outage because it dies.  More often then it preserves the machnine
> from a power outage.

My experience on this is mixed.

I work for an ISP, and we have UPSes for our machine room - with a
generator backup, since the UPSes can't handle more than some 10-15
minutes of that load; they exist for short power-outs and to bridge
between mains power failing and the generator starting.  Those UPSes
have done their job well.  But these are multi-tens-of-thousands-KVA
units.

I once picked up a small (~1 KVA) UPS and put some of my home machines
on it.  My experience there matches what I quoted from Jochen above:
after some four months or so, I realized I'd had more downtime from UPS
problems during those few months than I would have from mains issues in
a year or two - Hydro-Quibec provides pretty good power, at least in
downtown Montrial.  So I took the UPS out again.  (It wasn't a no-name
UPS, either; I think it was APC.  I do recall that it was someone who
didn't document their host interface, but the UPS came my way cheap
enough I was willing to overlook that.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org