[geeks] insurance for private contractors...

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Fri Feb 17 07:38:17 CST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Shannon <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> A shop I have done business with since 2004 has a new owner, and now they want
> all contractors to have liability and workman's compensation insurance. Its a
> USMC shipyard in South Norfolk (Norfolk, VA).

I think I saw this the first time on my phone, but didn't get a chance
to respond.

The last time I worked 1099 like this it was 1998, so my experience
may be dated and inaccurate. I was in silicon valley, and I called a
guy someone referred me to and the insurance was fairly inexpensive
(like $300 for the year or every six months.) You seem to be doing the
right thing by calling the smaller, more independent agents. Generally
if they can't take care of you they may refer you to someone who can.