[geeks] insurance for private contractors...

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Feb 17 07:31:00 CST 2012

[ sent this before but it appears to have never shown up ]

Hey guys,

A shop I have done business with since 2004 has a new owner, and now they want
all contractors to have liability and workman's compensation insurance. Its a
USMC shipyard in South Norfolk (Norfolk, VA).

I don't really have a "company" so much as just a minimal business license so
I can take 1099 MISC tax code contracts.

Do any of you guys have any experience with buying this kind of insurance for
working as a freelancer, and have any ideas on who is good to do business with
and how much it costs?

I've talked to some insurance companies and so far they have been less than
helpful. Two of them just said outright I didn't need this insurance and that
the shipyard I am contracting with is wrong, therefore they will not insure
me. That sorta baffled me since this is fast becoming standard practice. I
don't necessarily agree with it for individuals like me since they really
should hire us differently, but this is how a lot of potential jobs are doing
business around here.

Another one I contacted said they would only insure me but I would have to
also buy insurance for either physical assets or other employees besides
myself. That started looking expensive and wasteful since I have neither.

The job I have right now requires this, I can't even drive to work now unless
I get this sorted out.

I contacted State Farm and have not heard back from them yet, so I'm hoping I
get what I want from them, but would appreciate any advice or information.

Thanks.

ASIDE: I actually got a very good job with the Navy at Dahlgren... but then 2
weeks ago they got their budget axed so I'm on hold and needed to take up some
contract work to keep me fed and sheltered in the meantime.