[geeks] "Cloud" craziness...

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Tue Apr 3 12:25:10 CDT 2012

Hey everyone!

Let's say I have a half-dozen virtual machines which I want to throw
"in the cloud" so a team of folks spread across the globe can work on
a few different programs which require individual OS instances. Having
the hosting party worry about DR, backups, and availability would be
nice.

Each OS/VM will likely be CentOS based.

What providers/bang for the buck, do you suggest? Joyent? Rackspace?

Alternately we're looking at co-locating a 2U box we'd own, but we'd
like to avoid the headache of managing our own DR and worrying about
bad disks.

Given what we've seen from some of AWS' costs and failures (the
storage failures that seem to bring down Reddit once every quarter) I
don't think AWS will do it; plus, we already have the VMs in VDMK,
ready to go.

Much thanks in advance...

--
-Jon