[geeks] "Cloud" craziness...

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Apr 3 13:02:51 CDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 01:25:10PM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> Hey everyone!
>
> Let's say I have a half-dozen virtual machines which I want to throw
> "in the cloud" so a team of folks spread across the globe can work on
> a few different programs which require individual OS instances. Having
> the hosting party worry about DR, backups, and availability would be
> nice.
>
> Each OS/VM will likely be CentOS based.
>
> What providers/bang for the buck, do you suggest? Joyent? Rackspace?
>
> Alternately we're looking at co-locating a 2U box we'd own, but we'd
> like to avoid the headache of managing our own DR and worrying about
> bad disks.

Some colo providers will lease you the hardware, and I would think that
would mean they are responsible for dealing with hardware failures.
Perhaps they would even be responsible for migration to spare hardware,
I don't know.

You still would be responsible for how to DR if you had to rebuild your
workflow in a new data center.

If that is a real concern, just start in two datacenters from the beginning.