[geeks] On the subject of mainframes...

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sat May 28 06:47:39 CDT 2011

Hi,

I have got back to playing with Hercules and OS/360 on my Mac Pro.

Got it up and running using a pre-packaged OS/360 CD bundle from somewhere. I
followed the included instructions and it seems to fire up okay and I can run
up MVT. I dunno if that's enoigh to work with or if I need something else on
top...

I'd like to do something with it but I basically don't have a damed clue. I
have a bundle of documentation on OS/370 but I don't have OS/370.

As a (relatively) young pup who never had access to a mainframe or time
sharing systems I've no knowledge or experience of anything like this. My
grounding is in NetBSD, Linux and desktop OSs. Is there anyone out there who'd
be willing to point me to some info or teach me some basics?

I'll pledge a decent donation to the list upkeep in return...

Also when we looked at this as a list someone recommended an excellent 3270
terminal emulator for OS X that was compile from source. I have tn3270 but
it's a somewhat clunky Carbon port from OS Classic and it's... not optimal
even though it's pretty good (as far as I can tell anyway).

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>