[geeks] server wanted

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Tue Jul 26 04:19:16 CDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 01:23:06PM -0400, Shannon wrote:
> Did you ever try Xen enough to compare the two?

I have, but not on the same system.

> My worries about KVM are it seems to have a lot less isolation ability
> which a lot of people says increases reliability in Xen.

I've certainly not experienced any issues with KVM, but it's still early
days I guess. I must admit to being very impressed at how well Windows runs
under KVM with the virtio drivers installed, even on a relatively low-end
system like the Microserver.

> All of this stuff is very interesting, and a lot better than last time I
> played with it, so I'm sure either will do fine.

Agreed. The main reason I've gone for KVM is that it's been part of the
mainline Linux kernel for some time (unlike Xen's Dom0 support) and for a
long time seemed to be "the future" of mainline Linux-based virtualisation.
Now that Xen Dom0 support is also there, the waters are a little less
clear...

-mj
--
 Michael-John Turner