[geeks] server wanted

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jul 23 12:23:06 CDT 2011

On 23-Jul-2011 12:03, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 03:12:44PM +0100, Mark Benson wrote:
>> I'm guessing HP Microservers don't have the minerals for doing virtualisation
>> in hardware? I don't know the AND side but I'm guessing you mean something
>> like Intel VT-x ? Most Core2 stuff does VT-x afaik.
>
> Actually, the Athlon II Neo CPU in the Microserver does support hardware
> virtualisation. I'm using KVM on mine to run several Linux VMs and a
> Windows 2008R2 Core VM. None heavily used, but performance (with 8GiB RAM)
> is fine.

Did you ever try Xen enough to compare the two?

My worries about KVM are it seems to have a lot less isolation ability
which a lot of people says increases reliability in Xen.

In the end I want to learn both, but I need to pick one for production too.

All of this stuff is very interesting, and a lot better than last time I
played with it, so I'm sure either will do fine.