[geeks] Voip options

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 02:11:21 CDT 2011

Ok, so here's what I'm doing for now:

Calls to a Google Voice account now ring on all the analog phones in
my house.  Calls from my analog phones show up in caller ID as the
google voice number.  I have unlimited calls to the US and Canada.
The monthly cost is easily affordable:  free.  (I need to go set up
voicemail now!)  I opted not to port my existing number, but that was
an option.  International calls are $0.02/minute to many countries.  I
still have the option of using the google voice soft client on my
Android phone.

How did I manage this, I hear you asking. I bought an Obihai "Voice
Service Bridge and VOIP Telephone adapter" from Amazon for $49.99.
(I went for the more expensive one.  The other one was $43.99)  It
interfaces with my google voice account as a soft phone client and
then provides that to my analog phones.  Service is free through the
end of the year, so worst case I'm paying $10/month when you factor in
the box.  Keep in mind that Google said Google Voice would be free
through the end of the year back in 2009 and still is, so I may luck
out there as well.

Instructions here:
http://m.zdnet.com/blog/government/google-voice-a-cheapskates-guide-to-cheap-voip/10500

Devices here: