[geeks] Voip options

Wed Jul 20 10:05:30 CDT 2011

What I did at home was run a simple asterisk instance on my freebsd atom
server. I use link2voip for my SIP trunking, they charge something like
1.5 cents a minute for north american calls and their overseas rates are
also very cheap (france was 2.5cents/min last time I called). My DID
costs me $2.50 a month. They also let you set your own CID with
asterisk, mine is currently "Who Dis?" although you could choose
something a little more professional. :-)

For my home I'm using a simple Cisco SPA-2102 2 line analog telephone
adapter (cheap on ebay) in my basement wired into my household telephone
panel. For handsets we use regular analog cordless phones and I have a
polycom 403 IP handset in my office. It's worked out to be very cheap,
costing around $60-80/year for the amount of calling we do and it's been
quite reliable.