[geeks] wireless bridge

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jul 20 11:39:06 CDT 2011

What's everyone's favorite wireless bridge these days?

I need to replace a Linksys WGA gaming bridge because it only does G
speeds and cannot do WPA security.

My current network diagram is below.

I have two networks, one "outside" and a separate private one most of my
stuff sits on. The original idea was projects and protected stuff was on
the "inside" and the "I dont' care" stuff was on the outside, along with
guests/visitors and devices I have which are fussy about dual routing
and double NAT.

I don't have a "real" router, just one wireless router and a Snapgear
SMC550 secure router that really only has one network and a WAN
connection much like any cable router. Its also only 100Mbit so even if
it could do multiple nets, its too slow.

I'm just musing over ideas on changes and improvements to my network and
thought I'd ping you guys.

Goals:

a) secure the wireless bridge between 192.168.2 and 192.168.1
b) look into routers that would let me make a third private
   network for servers and projects
c) remove the snapgear unit and/or move it to the outside
   where it was designed to function.

The current network is in the state its in because of how it was used
for both personal and business use, so its a little funky.

The snapgear also has a backup connection via a modem to an ISP I've had
since 1992. Its only use is so I can still get important email and stuff
out when the local cable network decides to die on me. Its slow as hell,
but never goes down. Basically its on fallback, the router switches to
it automatically if the route out through the N600 fails.

I could actually do without this, though it has at times saved my hide
in business. I'm closing my business though so probably don't need it.

	   Internet

	+-----------+
	+-----------+      to use any other, grrrrr

	+------------+
	|Netgear N600| (primary wireless router, 192.168.2.1)
	+------------+
	   ~        |
           ~      <-+---- 192.168.2.0/24 (external exposed net) ->
           ~                                    |
           ~                         [ one "outside" computer ]
	   ~
	   ~
	   ~
	   ~ <-- wireless link