[geeks] server wanted

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 08:56:15 CDT 2011

Shannon,

First off, good luck with your efforts - it make a lot of sense and (I
suspect) free up a lot of floor space.

Now, I'm getting ready to shed some never-used MBs and CPUs I planned to use
for a planned windows cluster that I never built.

I have your old Dual core Opteron & 4x 1 Gig RAM (from your T105) along with a
suitable MB & modest cooling solution I was planning to offer for sale here. I
have two identical sets I'd be willing to sell for $100/ea (CPU, Fan, MB, 4x 1
Gig RAM) shipped. Add a chassis/PS & HD and you are in business. (I don't have
the MB model number in front of me, I can get it if interested)

Off the top of my head *I believe* the MB can be upgraded to 8 Gigs, but I
would confirm this if you are interested.

I also have a pair of Tyan server MBs that take Socket 775 (intel) CPUs, with
dual NICs, etc. Again, unused, but in this case I have the MB model numbers in
front of me (Tyan S5162, Tomcat i7230W) and quad core socket 775 CPUs are
pretty affordable now - if interested I'll come up with a number for them.
They have 4x memory slots, support 8 Gig ram, and use DDR2 ram.

As another alternative, the latest 1155 socket Intel CPUs are very nice, and
at $150 not THAT expensive, and MBs that accommodate 16 gigs of cheap, fast,
DDR3 RAM are very reasonable. (16 gigs of DDR3 can be gotten for $160, 8 Gigs
for $50-80 after rebate).

Of course, if you plan on shifting VMs from machine to machine, you need to
ensure the CPU/chipsets are compatible if not identical. I'm not sure if Xen
supports such VM portability, but VMWare/Hyper-V have such requirements.

Let me know if you're interested in any of my extra bits...

I don't know what 'dirt cheap' means to you when you say it, I presume
sub-$200.

I think the logic goes like this:

Quiet, expandable, cheap - pick two.

Lionel