[geeks] Mac definitions

Ben Greisler ben at kadimac.com
Fri Jul 15 22:50:56 CDT 2011

For the past few years I have been an instructor at our local Street Survival
courses aimed at new drivers (www.streetsurvival.org). We take the students
out in their own cars and introduce them to a wetted skidpad, emergency
braking and lane changes, and general skills. It is a day of the students
running over cones and spinning out of control. A big goal here is to expose
the students to what it feels like when you are in a skid, what to do about it
and how to keep yourself from getting into it in the first place. It has been
great fun and we keep hearing stories coming back from the student how they
applied their lessons in real life situations. It has been so popular that we
started to do an adult version too. It is an absolute blast. I highly
recommend it for anyone who knows a young driver.

What I have found is that young drivers have excellent sight/motion skills,
but they don't have the experience to put them in play. We help give that to
them. I wish I had it when I was anew driver!

I once took a low traction driving class in a car that used hydraulically
adjusted casters to lighten up the grip on any one corner of the car. The
instructor could adjust the traction on the fly. As I was taking the class, I
kept tossing the car into turns and slewing all over the place. The instructor
asked me what I was doing and I told her, "I need to do that so I can learn
how to bring the car back in control!" She responded, " A good driver won't
get themselves into a bad situation to begin with!" She was very right. In my
experience as a rally driver I found that keeping the car in control at all
times if tough but doable. The choice at 110 mph down a dirt road in the woods
to get it wrong just isn't a choice.

Ben Greisler | Owner / Technical Lead |  Kadimac Corp
ofc: 215-821-1440 | email: ben at kadimac.com
Certified Member - Apple Consultants Network - ACSA | Xsan | ACT
Apple Professional Services Provider - Education and Enterprise