[geeks] Mac definitions

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Jul 15 09:29:15 CDT 2011

On 07/15/11 09:53, Bob wrote:
>> Shoulder belts were also a big improvement. Lap belts had a bad
>> tendency to efficiently pivot the occupant into the dash.
>
> Or steering wheel.  My first car had shoulder belts.  I have no
> problem with them. I just wish they were better designed.  (four
> point,  wider straps)

That.  I consider it the height of stupidity that the way most seatbelt
laws are written, you can receive a ticket for wearing a four-point or
five-point harness that is *better than the factory installed seat
belt*, simply because you're *not* wearing the factory installed seat belt.

I actually really liked the seat belts in my 1970 Camaro SS350.  There
was a lap belt, and a *completely separate* shoulder belt with a
separate buckle, and neither had a stupid inertia reel.  (I strongly
dislike inertia-reel belts.  It can be really hard just to get the seat
belt on, if the car is parked nose-downhill.)  I could pull the lap belt
good and tight across my hips, then leave 3" or so of slack in the
shoulder belt, in the knowledge that 3" was all the slack there was
*going* to be.

> My son's car has only lap belts which means he will be a target for
> every cop in the area for violation of the seat belt law.  That's
> what happens when the car is older than most of the cops!

OPPORTUNITY!  Five-point harness!  :)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.