[geeks] Mac definitions

Ben Greisler ben at kadimac.com
Fri Jul 15 10:04:23 CDT 2011

On Jul 15, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> I actually really liked the seat belts in my 1970 Camaro SS350.  There
> was a lap belt, and a *completely separate* shoulder belt with a
> separate buckle, and neither had a stupid inertia reel.  (I strongly

My 1971 Olds Cutlass S had the same setup and I loved it. The problem was that
most people wouldn't use the shoulder belt as it was "extra work" to put it
on. I once drove in a mid-80's domestic that the owner had cut out the
seatbelts with a kitchen knife because he didn't like to use them. Seemed
extreme to me. Why not just not use them?

Not to mention is an exothermic chemical reaction (people have been
burned) and the crap that comes out when they deflate have been
reported to give some victims chronic respiratory problems because
they inhaled at the wrong time.

Most of what comes out is simply talc powder used in packing the material to
keep it from sticking together. Yes, it is a fine powder and I could see it
causing some irritation, but not chronic issues. If it was such an issue, I
think all those babies that get swathed in the stuff would have more
problems.

> My father used to run the local city traffic bureau for a few years as a
> cop. Engine intrusion was a major cause of injury and death.

"To get a minor point clear, was it engine intrusion or compression of the
passenger compartment?  The thing I have a problem with is "though"
the fire wall."

If the engine ends up in my lap with the firewall wrapped around it, I would
consider it an intrusion with or without the thin sheet metal between the
engine and my skin.

"I have a few nitpicky points.  I don't think the seat belts are better,
they've
become thinner and more likely to stretch which is what brought air bags
into the mix."

Seatbelts are designed to stretch. This protects the wearer by slowing their
forward motion in a controlled manner. Stiff belts can harm a wearer when they
slam against the unyielding webbing. Even racing harnesses are designed this
way (to vaying extents based on the usage).

I have been involved with various forms of autoracing for about 24 years now
and I am amazed at how badly installed most harness systems are. Very few
people take the time to learn how to install them correctly and unfortunately
some of the tech inspectors don't know what they are looking at either. I also
can get on a soapbox about poorly designed roll cages, put I won't.