[geeks] Mac definitions

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Jul 7 13:54:59 CDT 2011

On 07/07/11 14:23, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> On Thursday 07 July 2011, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Ubuntu?  The Windows of Linux distributions.  DON'T TOUCH THAT!  NO
>> USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE!
>
> Actually, after switching recently from Debian/testing to Ubuntu on my
> work desktop (because I couldn't actually make ATI drivers install for
> the new video card I got), the only difference that I've found is that
> desktop stuff actually works now. (I'm using KDE, not GNOME, so maybe
> that's why it doesn't suck as much as I expected.)
>
> I don't understand where your comment comes from.

My experience of Ubuntu is that it is a control-freak distribution whose
developers have gone to great lengths to try to prevent you from logging
in as root EVER for ANY reason.  Basic, simple settings are hidden
behind layered walls of twisty little hidden GUI configuration items.  I
think of it as the Linux distribution for people who secretly (or not so
secretly) would really rather be running Windows.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.