[geeks] Computer Chronicles

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jan 27 13:12:34 CST 2011

On 26-Jan-2011 08:05, Michael-John Turner wrote:
Definitely brings back some fond memories. The days of BYTE and when PC
> Magazine used to be a decent read and published C and x86 assembly language
> source code...

Oh yea... I have some really old issues of Byte, and its amazing to see
the computers I used to drool over, thousands of dollars, and all the
add ons and other stuff. Remember that back in the day you were also a
lot more tied in with ham radio and other electronics related hobbyists.

I used to want this CP/M system at a local computer store. 10MB hard
drive, more than one CPU, MP/M I think, and a *COLOR* primary display.
Price tag was $9000 or more.

I also used to spend hours in the Radio Shack kiosk in the mall playing
with their Model 2/16 systems.

I used to write software without a computer, and take it to those places
to build and run it. Didn't have my own computer until I was in high
school, and it was just a little 8-bit Atari.