[geeks] wireless bridge recommendation

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 18:25:57 CST 2011

I would suggest any that support DD-WRT, like the infamous WRT54GL (L for
'Linux Support') I use a Netgear wireless print server that has four 10/100
ports and 2 USB for my make-shift workbench, never had a problem with it.

My main router/access point is a DD-WRT netgear device.

With a little patience you can probably find a $20-25 router that supports
DD-WRT, the netgear unit I mentioned is typically around $60-70, IIRC, though
refurbs can be found for less.

Lionel

On Jan 11, 2011, at 5:11 PM, Shannon <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> I need to install a wireless bridge.
>
> Have two ethernets, one of which has access to the Internet via cable modem.
I can't connect them with a wire, so I'm looking for a wireless bridge.

> The distance is not very great and there is only a single sheet rock wall
between the main router and where the bridge would sit.

> The router I'm using is a Netgear WPN824v3.
>
> Bridges seem to be pretty overpriced, and also seem to get fairly negative
reviews unless they are even more expensive.

> Recommendations and your own experiences appreciated.
>
> Also, since a full router is a usually a lot cheaper than a bridge, notes on
which ones can function as a bridge or otherwise do the job would be good too.
Talking to store employees and even contacting the manufacturers has so far
been nothing but frustration.