[geeks] tis the season for hardware to fail...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Apr 11 18:16:33 CDT 2011

On 04/11/11 18:30, Shannon wrote:
> Buying a new one sucks because most don't have the display quality this one
> does, and nearly every one you can buy locally is movie resolution, which I
> hate. I want the more square typical computer resolution of 1920x1200.

That is a simple problem or a difficult one, depending what size you're
looking for.  If you're good with 24", any of Samsung, HP, NEC, Samsung,
or Asus make 24" 1920x1200 LCD monitors starting at about $290.  For
about $500, DoubleSight makes a 24" 1920x1200 that I am told is very,
very good indeed.  I have so far been extremely pleased with the Asus
LCD monitors I've bought, particularly the LED-backlit ones.

If you want larger than 24", the odds thin out fast.  Don't waste your
time or money on the 27.5" Hanns-G; they're cheap, but their quality is
shit, their warranty service is abysmally slow, and they weasel out of
their warranties.  (DAMHIK.)  NEC has a 26" for about $475, Viewsonic
makes a 26" for $880 (damn, they must be awful proud of that), and
that's your lot unless you go up to 30" monitors with 2560x1600
resolution and truly breathtaking prices.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.