[geeks] tis the season for hardware to fail...

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 11 18:31:15 CDT 2011

On 11-Apr-2011 19:16, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 04/11/11 18:30, Shannon wrote:
>> Buying a new one sucks because most don't have the display quality this one
>> does, and nearly every one you can buy locally is movie resolution, which I
>> hate. I want the more square typical computer resolution of 1920x1200.
>
> That is a simple problem or a difficult one, depending what size you're
> looking for.  If you're good with 24", any of Samsung, HP, NEC, Samsung,
> or Asus make 24" 1920x1200 LCD monitors starting at about $290.  For
> about $500, DoubleSight makes a 24" 1920x1200 that I am told is very,
> very good indeed.  I have so far been extremely pleased with the Asus
> LCD monitors I've bought, particularly the LED-backlit ones.

24 is the target.

I just spent a few hours looking and one thing is clear: good LCDs are
not in my price range.

My current NEC is an MVA panel and has a much nicer viewing angle than
any of the $300-400 range TN panels.

Damn shame, but I just can't afford another one right now: it was $800
new and the ones out now are only about $100 cheaper.

My display is 3 years old, just old enough to be out of warranty. I
could try getting it repaired, if I knew it was a part that was a
reliable fix.