[geeks] operating systems to replace Solaris

Dr. Robert Pasken rpasken at eas.slu.edu
Mon Apr 11 08:36:13 CDT 2011

On 4/11/11 7:22 AM, Shannon wrote:
> On 10-Apr-2011 17:05, Dr Robert Pasken wrote:
>> Why replace Solaris? You're going to give up stability and features and
>> get what in return?
> The only feature I potentially give up that matters is ZFS.
>
> As far as stability goes: I've not found it any more stable than NetBSD.
> Both run my services 24/7 without issue.
>
> As far as why replace it:
>
> - its a violation of their new license agreement to use it as I am
> - Solaris is a harder to care for than the BSD systems
> - the BSD and Linux systems support my hardware better
>
> I do like Solaris, but just #1 above means that, should I actually obey
> their license, I need to switch.

Replacing Solaris-10 with one of the OpenSolaris distros fixes the
problem with the licensing. Having machines running some flavor of BSD,
linux and Solaris, I find the amount time I have to devote to
"maintaining" the systems versus actually "using" the system linux is
the worst offender followed by the BSD flavors. I have several clusters
that are used for real-time weather forecasts. I gave up on linux, even
though the code I get from NWS is written for linux, because I am tired
of weird kernel panics, NFS hangs and really awful performance. The BSD
flavors are better, but not by much. I can get a two week long run on
the cluster running Solaris and not get a crash which cann't be said for
linux or BSD

Considering the bog standard hardware and hardware support in Solaris,
you must be running some odd hardware.