[geeks] operating systems to replace Solaris

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 11 07:22:59 CDT 2011

On 10-Apr-2011 17:05, Dr Robert Pasken wrote:
> Why replace Solaris? You're going to give up stability and features and
> get what in return?

The only feature I potentially give up that matters is ZFS.

As far as stability goes: I've not found it any more stable than NetBSD.
Both run my services 24/7 without issue.

As far as why replace it:

- its a violation of their new license agreement to use it as I am
- Solaris is a harder to care for than the BSD systems
- the BSD and Linux systems support my hardware better

I do like Solaris, but just #1 above means that, should I actually obey
their license, I need to switch.