[geeks] Good quality ATX case with side access HDD bays?

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Mon May 24 10:38:34 CDT 2010

On Mon, 24 May 2010 14:33:55 +0100, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com>
wrote:
> My 2 major feature needs are quietness (not at the cost of good airflow)
> and side or front access HDD bays that mena I don't have to fit the hard
> drives by sliding them in 'old style'. I basically want something like
> the W2100z or U60 style drive trays but in a smaller (mid tower ATX)
> case. Why? Because I'm a geek and like swapping hard drives around from
> time to time...

Not sure if these are available on your side of the pond, but I'm using a
Cooler Master Centurion 590 case:

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2709

with this SATA/SAS backplane installed in the lower three 5.25" bays:

http://www.xclio.com/xclioipc/htm/products-backplane-ss034.html

Besides having individually locking trays, power and activity lights for
each drive tray, the backplane has an easily replaceable 80mm cooling fan
that clips on the back with a holder and it uses a standard 3-pin fan
connector.

For the ATX case, I don't use the fans that came with it, instead I use
four Scythe S-FLEX 1200rpm 120mm fans:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html

The fans are quiet, move a good amount of air, and have an MTBF of 150,000
hours.

Otherwise it's a great case... not very expensive, excellent cooling
options, additional holes put in the SECC steel for cable ties and some
cable management.  One thing to note though is if you get this case and
your motherboard puts the aux power connector (4-pin or 8-pin variety) in
the upper corner of the motherboard, you will need to buy an extension
cable to reach up there if you want to run the cable up behind the
motherboard and out of the way.

Not sure if any of this stuff is available on your side of the pond or for
how much.

- Nate