[geeks] Good quality ATX case with side access HDD bays?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon May 24 14:33:51 CDT 2010

On 24 May 2010, at 16:38, <nate at portents.com> <nate at portents.com> wrote:

> Not sure if these are available on your side of the pond, but I'm using a
> Cooler Master Centurion 590

Yes they are, and I like Coolermaster cases ,my current one is a Centurion 5,
and save for the traditional 3/5" internal bays that I don't like, it's a very
nice box.

I'll thank you for making me look again at Coolermaster. They have some very
nice full tower chassis like:

http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.php?product_id=2584

 and

http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.php?product_id=5777

> with this SATA/SAS backplane installed in the lower three 5.25" bays:
>
> http://www.xclio.com/xclioipc/htm/products-backplane-ss034.html

That I cannot find in the UK. I can only find one by StarTech and there's very
scant detail on it.

> For the ATX case, I don't use the fans that came with it, instead I use
> four Scythe S-FLEX 1200rpm 120mm fans:
>
> http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html

One thing that attracted me to the Antec case is the fans in their cases are
very good. MY dad has a mini-tower Antec case and it's pretty much silent and
you can't even hear the hard drive thanks to the isolated rubber disc mounts.

> Not sure if any of this stuff is available on your side of the pond or for
> how much.

For reference, the Coolermaster Centurion 590 is roughly 55GBP from anyone I'd
trust to sell it to me. A Startech 4-drive backplane is about 75GBP.