[geeks] "Patch previews"

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed May 19 19:45:45 CDT 2010

> I find this bothers me.  What makes the government so special that
> they should get this information but I shouldn't be able to access
> it?

Not giving it to them was judged probably too costly.  Not giving it to
you has cost to Microsoft so close to zero as to border on impossible
to measure.

> But making it available just to the government and "critical
> infractructure providers" Because They're Special is silly.   *My*
> infrastructure is crucial *to me*.  How come I don't rate access to
> the information?

Because you aren't high enough profile to cause Microsoft significant
problems if you don't get it.

You appear to be operating under the misconception that the purpose of
this move was to improve security on the net in general.  I don't
believe that for a moment; I fully expect that this, like damn near
everything Microsoft does, was done for precisely one reason: to
increase their bottom line.

I don't know _why_ Microsoft thinks that not doing this is likely to
cost them more than the (doubtless significant) costs of arranging the
access, but I'm quite sure they do, or they wouldn't've done it.

> Who gets to decide whose infrastructure is "crucial"?

Microsoft, of course.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org