[geeks] "Patch previews"

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed May 19 16:40:06 CDT 2010

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-20005377-83.html

"Microsoft has launched a pilot program for governments and critical
infrastructure providers to gain access to in-depth technical
information about operating system patches before they are released on
the second Tuesday of each month."

I find this bothers me.  What makes the government so special that they
should get this information but I shouldn't be able to access it?

Make the information available, or not.  But making it available just to
the government and "critical infractructure providers" Because They're
Special is silly.  *My* infrastructure is crucial *to me*.  How come I
don't rate access to the information?  Who gets to decide whose
infrastructure is "crucial"?

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.