[geeks] "Patch previews"

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed May 19 21:22:10 CDT 2010

On 05/19/10 20:45, der Mouse wrote:
> You appear to be operating under the misconception that the purpose of
> this move was to improve security on the net in general.  I don't
> believe that for a moment; I fully expect that this, like damn near
> everything Microsoft does, was done for precisely one reason: to
> increase their bottom line.
>
> I don't know _why_ Microsoft thinks that not doing this is likely to
> cost them more than the (doubtless significant) costs of arranging the
> access, but I'm quite sure they do, or they wouldn't've done it.

The question I'm really asking here is, if they're making that advance
technical information available to the government and to whoever
Microsoft thinks is a "crucial" service provider who needs it, does it
really cost any more to just give *everyone* access to it?

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.