[geeks] Built my first speaker enclosure

erie patsellis erie at shelbyvilledesign.com
Sun May 2 17:42:50 CDT 2010

Lionel,
I loved the pair of EV30's I had, though they are really impractical if
you ever have any thoughts of not being single or a celibate monk.

Voice coil size only (used to, newer tech and materials has changed
everything) to be a good indicator of power handling.

Bass response of a speaker system, (comprised of driver and cabinet) as
well as how quickly response drops off (specified as Q) is a function of:

The natural resonant frequency of the driver. (Ft)
The drivers effective volume of air. (Vas)
The combination of electrical (Qes) and mechanical (Qms) Q of the driver
(Referred to as Qts)
Cabinet volume
Cabinet design (ported, acoustic suspension, pass band, etc)
Stuffing of the cabinet (affects relative volume, can increase volume
about 15-20% if properly filled)
Crossover design.

All of this can be pretty easily modeled by inexpensive to free (as in
beer) software readily available.

erie