[geeks] Experience with using 20 pin ATX PSU in motherboard that takes 24 pin EATX power connector?

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Sun May 2 02:51:18 CDT 2010

I've got an Asus cheapie motherboard (P5KPL-AM SE) that has a 24 pin
EATX power connector on it with which I would like to use a 20 pin ATX
power supply. I know that some motherboards will let you plugin a 20
pin and you'll be okay, what has the experience on list been of this?
The machine does start up with the power connected in this manner and
seems to be fine, but I haven't put it under any kind of load yet.

By the way, I'm not asking about the supplementary P4 4 pin CPU power
connector (I've made a plan with that using an adaptor).

The ATX PSU that I've got can give 12V @5A and 5V 22A, if that helps.

Cheers,
Jonathan