[geeks] Built my first speaker enclosure

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sun May 2 16:08:53 CDT 2010

On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 04:51:44PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>I know I've mentioned the 30 inch subwoofer I saw in Rochester, NY
>before, it had a voicecoil about six inches across - and as I
>understand it, the larger the voicecoil, the lower the speaker goes.
>Not sure if that is a rule or an observation that applies in most
>cases...
>
>Once I saw that, that became my mental image of a subwoofer, of
>course, that is an unreasonable standard in most cases...

Rule of thumb. Not really true, but a good guess. My Nakamichi headphones
have as good bass as any subwoof I've heard, and I've heard a lot.

I'm talking about playing music from actual musical instruments, not
signal generators to produce the "brown sound".

The metric I use Al Stewart's "Roads to Moscow". At around 3:18 a bass comes
in, most systems can't reproduce it. It has to be a CD or some other digital
means, and LP with a sound that low would have the needle fly out of the
groove. :-)

Geoff.
New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.