[geeks] Built my first speaker enclosure

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat May 1 17:01:49 CDT 2010

Built my first "subwoofer".

(a) yes, I know, I should seal it with silicone caulk
(b) yes, I know its probably not the right volume for the speaker
(c) however, the box was free (a Mason brother that does furniture built it
    for me out of scrap, saving me about $25)
(d) it sounds good enough for my "office" sound system right now
(e) gonna paint the box eventually.  Probably matte black.

The speaker is this:

http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PLG64-6-5-Inch-Watt-Woofer/dp/B000FMPENQ

And, pictures of the finished unit:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/72157623970445806/detail/

The grille was $3.55:
http://www.electronix.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1_328/products_id/13883

The terminal block on the back was $1.99:
http://www.electronix.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1_328/products_id/13676

Grand total cost to me was around $25 counting machine screws, washers,
nuts, and so forth.  Another $15 or so was parts and tools that I'll use to
build two more (two-way w/tweeter and crossover) next week.

I'm running it off one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Lepai-LP-838-3-Channel-Mini-Amplifier-Stereo-/1804106502
+33

The amp has a built-in crossover; the 6.5" speaker I just built is hooked
to the green-connector "SUPER BASS" output on the back.  My mid/high
speakers are these:

http://www.angelfire.com/vt/audio/minimus.html

The sub is able to rattle its own enclosure (not that I like to listen to
music like that, though) if I turn up the "super bass" knob high enough.

This setup sounds *great*.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford