[geeks] Policy for system / package upgrades in Enterprise

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jul 26 11:01:01 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:53:40AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>A little-known piece of trivia:  I'm given to understand the revolver
>used in _Dirty Harry_ was actually a Smith & Wesson Model 57 in .41
>Magnum, because the Model 29 wasn't a big seller until made popular by
>the movie, and was in sufficiently short supply that the studio couldn't
>get an 8-3/8" Model 29 in time for the movie.  The Model 57, built on
>the same N frame and also available with the 8-3/8" barrel, was visually
>indistinguishable on film; no-one sitting in a theater was going to
>notice the .019" difference in caliber.
>
>(.41 Magnum is a true .410" bore; .44 Magnum is actually .429" bore.)

I don't know. By the time I bought mine, it was an "off the shelf" item,
although they only made them in one version, the 8 3/8 barrel, blued frame,
special sights and of course, the wooden presentation box with blue felt
lining. :-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order