[geeks] Policy for system / package upgrades in Enterprise

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Jul 26 10:53:40 CDT 2010

On 07/26/10 11:33, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:02:56AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> 9.10 clean installations worked fine.  But the upgrade ... "So what you
>> have to ask yourself is, 'Do I feel lucky?'  Well ... do ya, punk?"
>
> Having owned an S&W 29 (aka "Dirty Harry Special"), I would NEVER feel
> lucky with one pointed at me. Nor for that matter do I feel partiularly
> lucky with TWO UBUNTU systems.

A little-known piece of trivia:  I'm given to understand the revolver
used in _Dirty Harry_ was actually a Smith & Wesson Model 57 in .41
Magnum, because the Model 29 wasn't a big seller until made popular by
the movie, and was in sufficiently short supply that the studio couldn't
get an 8-3/8" Model 29 in time for the movie.  The Model 57, built on
the same N frame and also available with the 8-3/8" barrel, was visually
indistinguishable on film; no-one sitting in a theater was going to
notice the .019" difference in caliber.

(.41 Magnum is a true .410" bore; .44 Magnum is actually .429" bore.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.