[geeks] The illusion of Windows 7

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 16:30:00 CDT 2009

On Oct 31, 2009, at 4:37 PM, "Jonathan J. M. Katz" <jon at jonworld.com>
wrote:

> Ugh.
>
> A while back I tried the Windows 7 Beta and liked it. Horrible, I
> know.
>
> Since I'm a student, I snagged an upgrade copy of the 64bit
> Professional version for $29.99. I have a 64bit machine (Lenovo
> Thinkpad T61.) I'd turn it into a hackintosh, but the Intel-based
> wireless and nVidia Quadro 140M graphics makes this useless (neither
> are supported.) The wireless support in Linux (concept of right-click,
> connect to network) has underwhelmed me, even in working with Ubuntu
> 9.x in the past 12 months.
>
> With sparing you folks the details, you can't upgrade from 32 bit XP
> to 64 bit Windows 7.
>
> So now I either have to find a copy of XP 64 bit to install OR find a
> Windows 7 "full" key.

MS is aware of, and working on a fix for this issue - I'd keep
checking back where you got the upgrade, they'll likely post a path to
a fix, based on a conversation I had w/ MS marketing drone at Win7
Launch Event last week.

I believe Paul Thurrot (sp) has a workaround, but I wasn't really
looking, check his blog for details (I can't look it up right now)...

I like Win7 so far, but I have a Technet Direct Plus subscription, and
for about $200/yr I get access to 10 copies of nearly all their non-
developer tools (OS, Office, SQL, Exchange, and System Center tools)...

Lionel