[geeks] The illusion of Windows 7

Jonathan J. M. Katz jon at jonworld.com
Sat Oct 31 15:37:16 CDT 2009

Ugh.

A while back I tried the Windows 7 Beta and liked it. Horrible, I know.

Since I'm a student, I snagged an upgrade copy of the 64bit
Professional version for $29.99. I have a 64bit machine (Lenovo
Thinkpad T61.) I'd turn it into a hackintosh, but the Intel-based
wireless and nVidia Quadro 140M graphics makes this useless (neither
are supported.) The wireless support in Linux (concept of right-click,
connect to network) has underwhelmed me, even in working with Ubuntu
9.x in the past 12 months.

With sparing you folks the details, you can't upgrade from 32 bit XP
to 64 bit Windows 7.

So now I either have to find a copy of XP 64 bit to install OR find a
Windows 7 "full" key.

Bloody ridiculous.

(just venting.)

-Jon