[geeks] The illusion of Windows 7

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 16:41:42 CDT 2009

On 31 Oct 2009, at 20:37, Jonathan J. M. Katz wrote:

> A while back I tried the Windows 7 Beta and liked it. Horrible, I
> know.

Not really, I loved it. I still do. It's a proper breath of fresh air
compared to the old fustiness of XP and the buggy hell of Vista.

> Since I'm a student, I snagged an upgrade copy of the 64bit
> Professional version for $29.99.
>
> With sparing you folks the details, you can't upgrade from 32 bit XP
> to 64 bit Windows 7.
>
> So now I either have to find a copy of XP 64 bit to install OR find a
> Windows 7 "full" key.
>
> Bloody ridiculous.

Without wishing to seem wise after the case, I'd always have assumed
that was the case had Microsoft not told me otherwise. In fact I
didn't even think it was possible to upgrade from XP at all...? Could
be wrong.

I can't comment directly on upgrading, both my licenses are full
retail and will be clean installs only.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: