[geeks] Snow Leopard

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 16:20:30 CST 2009

On Nov 29, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Nate <nate at portents.com> wrote:

> Just look up the chipset - pre-Santa Rosa Intel notebook chipsets
> didn't
> handle remapping the I/O space above 4GB, so even with a 64-bit CPU
> and a
> 64-bit OS, I/O space would consume the top of RAM below 4GB.
> Whether you
> decide to put 4GB or 3GB or 2GB of physical RAM in the system is up
> to you,
> but if it's DDR2, 2GB SO-DIMMs are not a lot of money.

I have 2 Gigs in my 2.16 GHz Core2Duo MBP, and I'll probably upgrade
to 3 Gigs, but I'm not in a rush - for my minimal needs, 2 Gigs has
been fine, and I haven't upgraded to Snow Leopard (yet), I'm looking
for the right HD upgrade first (I want 500 Gig @ 7200 RPM, but I'm
waiting for the price to drop).

OTOH, I tend to max my RAM in systems, and I think when I got the MBP
2 Gigs was the 'official' max it could take.

Lionel