[geeks] Snow Leopard

Nate nate at portents.com
Sun Nov 29 12:51:18 CST 2009

On Nov 28, 2009, at 10:37 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> I think they are affordable.  However, I'm not sure how much this one
> will actually take, if 2 gigs is the max, 3 gigs, or if it is safe to
> put 4 gigs in and only expect to see 3.3 gigs.
>
> Macsales.com says the max is 2 gigs.  Lowendmac says 3 gigs, and I think
> that anything that took 3 gigs would take 4, but only allow the usage of
> 3.3 gigs.  Can anyone confirm this?  This is a 1.83 ghz MacBook from
> 2006.

Just look up the chipset - pre-Santa Rosa Intel notebook chipsets didn't
handle remapping the I/O space above 4GB, so even with a 64-bit CPU and a
64-bit OS, I/O space would consume the top of RAM below 4GB.  Whether you
decide to put 4GB or 3GB or 2GB of physical RAM in the system is up to you,
but if it's DDR2, 2GB SO-DIMMs are not a lot of money.