[geeks] The new IPC/LX, from Dell?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Nov 19 20:43:37 CST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 07:35:00PM -0500, Nate wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2009, at 6:27 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> Think of Firewire as a close relative of (and in some ways a superset of)
> SCSI, because it's SBP-2 protocol stareted as an attempt to adapt SCSI to
> Firewire, but evolved into a a more generic framework.  Combined with
> memory-mapped device support that doesn't involve host interrupts or
> buffer-copies, it doesn't put a significant load on the CPU at all (unlike
> USB), and though I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, I'd guess
> it's more capable than SATA, but less than SAS

I was aware that SBP-2 was derived from SCSI, but I didn't know that is
was improved over SCSI, nor what else might be in between SBP-2 and the
wire or how good or bad it might be.

> except where applications like realtime video/audio might come in.

I think that FW offers perfectly acceptable latency for realtime audio
and video.  Certainly for some applications it won't provide sufficient
bandwidth.