[geeks] The new IPC/LX, from Dell?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 19:28:53 CST 2009

On Nov 19, 2009, at 6:27 PM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> Back in the IDE days, it wasn't uncommon to find that an IDE drive
> attached by firewire could be faster than that same IDE drive attached
> to the internal IDE port.

That speaks more to the low speed of the on-board IDE controller than
anything else... A circuit that translates FW interface to IDE
interface and back again can't feed data to the host faster than the
drive can present it, but it can posess a better IDE interface than
the host system.

As I recall, IDE off-loaded much of the controller logic to the host,
to a much greater extent than SCSI devices but less than MFM devices.

Lionel