[geeks] The new IPC/LX, from Dell?

Nate nate at portents.com
Thu Nov 19 18:35:00 CST 2009

On Nov 19, 2009, at 6:27 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> For all I know, firewire could be more efficient
> than SATA or SAS.

Think of Firewire as a close relative of (and in some ways a superset of)
SCSI, because it's SBP-2 protocol stareted as an attempt to adapt SCSI to
Firewire, but evolved into a a more generic framework.  Combined with
memory-mapped device support that doesn't involve host interrupts or
buffer-copies, it doesn't put a significant load on the CPU at all (unlike
USB), and though I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, I'd guess it's more
capable than SATA, but less than SAS, except where applications like realtime
video/audio might come in.