[geeks] The new IPC/LX, from Dell?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 19:40:26 CST 2009

On Nov 19, 2009, at 6:27 PM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> eSATA isn't faster than SAS, even though SAS can talk to a lot of
> drives, so without someone breaking open the firewire protocol and
> SATA
> protocol documents, we don't know for certain that eSATA has less
> protocol overhead than Firewire, we only know that eSATA has a much
> higher clock rate.  For all I know, firewire could be more efficient
> than SATA or SAS.

I'm not talking protocol, I'm talking about the fact that SATA drives
connected to an eSATA port without translation, FW requires
translation because there is no such thing as a native FW device (they
are all IDE, SATA, or other technologies with a bridge device to
interface with FW).

A FW bridge device can have a better SATA/IDE controller than is on a
mainboard, but ia FW bridge will not be faster than that same improved
controller on the system bus.

Lionel