[geeks] seeking an excellent tandoori chicken recipe

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue May 26 15:51:09 CDT 2009

William Enestvedt wrote:
> Using a "pizza stone" -- or just the right bricks -- really does make
> good pizza.

Bricks ....  hmmmm.    Firebrick ought to work.

>    So, back to the original question: can anyone help the OP with a
> tandoori chicken recipe? Does Mark Bittman's book have anything?

I have this "tandoori style" one from Madhur Jaffrey:

2-1/2 lb chicken pieces, skinned and trimmed
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp lemon juice

1-1/2 cups plain yoghurt
Half an onion, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped or crushed
1 inch piece of gresh ginger, chopped or grated
1 or 2 hot green chilies, sliced
2 tsp garam masala

Lemon or lime wedges for serving

Joint the chicken if using legs; but chicken breasts into joint-size
pieces.  Make two deep crosswise slits on each piece.  Do not slit all
the way to the edge or all the way through.  Spread the pieces on a
large platter, sprinkle with half the salt and half the lemon juice,
turn over, repeat, set aside for 20 minutes.  Meanwhile combine all
remaining ingredients except the lemon/lime slices in a food processor
and blend until smooth.  When the chicken has had its 20 minutes, add
the chicken to the marinade, turning the chicken until completely
covered and rubbing the marinade well into the cuts, then cover and
refrigerate for 8-24 hours.  Preheat your oven as hot as it will go,
then spread the chicken on a single layer on a baking tray and put it in
the top of the oven where it's hottest.  Bake for 20-25 minutes and
serve with the lemon/lime wedges.

Madhur says, "Also, I have given up painting my tandoori chicken red, as
it tastes just as good without the artificial coloring and is much
healthier besides."

Tandoori chicken recipes are all over the 'net.  This one looks
promising to my eye, aside from the food coloring:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Indian-Tandoori-Chicken/Detail.aspx

This one gets the red color from paprika:

http://etherwork.net/ejmtph/recipes/Indianchicken.html

This one looks promising too:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/blchicken2.htm

Here's a recipe that assumes you have a tandoor, but might lead to some
hints on building one:

http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?Display=10

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.