[geeks] seeking an excellent tandoori chicken recipe

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue May 26 15:30:32 CDT 2009

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On May 26, 2009, at 01:25 , sammy ominsky wrote:
>
>> On 26/05/2009, at 07:54, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>
>>> There are places that sell stone slabs to put in an oven, but I
>>> have no idea if that trick does anything useful or not.  Sounds
>>> like a gimmick, but maybe it does have some effect.
>> I use a stone slab for pizza.  It's great.
>
> Cool.  I might try one then.  Just didn't see like it could do the
> trick since a real stone oven is stone all around.

Hm, wait, stone rather than ceramic tile?

We've tried both glazed and unglazed ceramic and stoneware floor tiles,
but so far they almost all crack after relatively few uses.  The best
success was with six-inch unglazed terracotta tile, but they accumulate
burned drippings quickly.

That said, they do work to increase the thermal mass of the oven.  They
won't make it any hotter, but they're a big help to not lose as much
heat when you have to open the oven door to add or remove food.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.