[geeks] tandoor

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue May 26 01:29:54 CDT 2009

According to the Wikipedia, it's 500C, not 500F. If you look at the
pictures, it's not an oven as you think of one.

A modern oven is a box with a heating element or fire at the bottom,
or possibly on the top or both. The heat is diffused and spread around
to even it out. Although I have never seen an oven that is 100% even,
some get pretty close.

A tandoor is more of a clay pot with a fire in the bottom and food hung
over the flame. I wonder if I could convert my Weber gas grill to one
by removing the "flavor bars" (heat diffusers). This would leave narrow
strips where the burners are, but it might be worth it.

Too bad I don't cook chicken or mix meat and dairy, some tandoori lamb
would go well just about now.

In a previous life, I might of bought one of these:

	http://www.tandoors.com/tandoor_residential.php

Maybe you could find a used kiln for sale. :-)

Geoff.