[geeks] Spare netbook, anyone?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Tue May 19 11:30:33 CDT 2009

Quoth Lionel Peterson ...
> On May 18, 2009, at 8:06 PM, "Sheldon T. Hall"
> <shel at artell.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a netbook.  Specs aren't particularly important,
> [snip]
>
> Why not consider an ITX Atom MB? MSI makes an Atom barebones that
> lists about $160 and has room for two HDs, Ethernet, etc. USB
> boot is
> certainly an option... Don't forget the Intel MBs, the early D201GLY
> MBs should be around $60, the dual-core D945GCLF2 with Gigabit
> Ethernet is colse to $100...

The problem there is that a small box like that wouldn't have a screen.

This is going to be my "portable server" arrangement; it's going to be a
local file/backup server that also relays backups over the 'net to an
off-site machine.  While a screen and keyboard wouldn't be necessary for
day-to-day operation, having them would certainly make set-up and relocation
simpler.  Since we're going to be in at least three different places this
year, with three different 'net arrangements, something with integral screen
and keyboard would seem more practical.

However, those little boxes are pretty interesting for other uses....

-Shel