[geeks] Spare netbook, anyone?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue May 19 12:27:11 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Sheldon T. Hall <shel at artell.net> wrote:
> Quoth Lionel Peterson ...
>> On May 18, 2009, at 8:06 PM, "Sheldon T. Hall"
>> <shel at artell.net> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm looking for a netbook.  Specs aren't particularly important,
>> [snip]
>>
>> Why not consider an ITX Atom MB? MSI makes an Atom barebones that
>> lists about $160 and has room for two HDs, Ethernet, etc. USB
>> boot is
>> certainly an option... Don't forget the Intel MBs, the early D201GLY
>> MBs should be around $60, the dual-core D945GCLF2 with Gigabit
>> Ethernet is colse to $100...
>
> The problem there is that a small box like that wouldn't have a screen.

Depends on the box - Shuttle makes small "cubes" with local screens:

Shuttle XPC D10 with a 7" touchscreen, Intel G31 MB, optical and local
HD, $419 List Price:

http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/d10.html

$379 at Newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101075&Tpk=shuttle%2
0d10

> This is going to be my "portable server" arrangement; it's going to be a
> local file/backup server that also relays backups over the 'net to an
> off-site machine.  While a screen and keyboard wouldn't be necessary for
> day-to-day operation, having them would certainly make set-up and
relocation
> simpler.  Since we're going to be in at least three different places this
> year, with three different 'net arrangements, something with integral
screen
> and keyboard would seem more practical.
>
> However, those little boxes are pretty interesting for other uses....

Agreed.

Dell just came out with a new laptop for education based on the Atom
CPU - it takes 2 Gig RAM, SSD or HD, and has a 10" touchscreen with
either a 3 or 6 cell battery. Prices are starting at $500,
touchscreen, 6 cell battery, and SSD additional... I wish they'd gone
with the 330 Atom, (dual core) rather than the 270 Atom (single
core)...

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com